Earlier tonight, I had the privilege to have dinner with a cousin of mine who I haven’t seen for 20 years. As my family was leaving (getting kids into a minivan can be a chore), he told me he bought my book on the Apostolic Fathers (yay!) but that he hadn’t been able to reallyl get into it (sad face).
I get it though. I thought a minute and recommended a few passages: Didache and Diognetus 5–6. But there are more, at least from my perspective. Here’s my quick list after thinking about it for a bit:
- 1 Clement 59–61
- 2 Clement 1
- Didache 1–3; 7–9; 16
- Diognetus 5–6
- Ignatius to the Ephesians 9
- Ignatius to the Philadelpheans 8
- Polycarp to the Philippians 7
- Barnabas 18–20 (cf. Didache 1–5)
- Shepherd of Hermas, Vision 1.1–4 and Vision 4.1–3
- Martrydom of Polycarp 9–11
What did I miss, and why? Add your recommendations in the comments. Thanks!